BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, November 23, 2007

mixed up like jambalaya

i thought i knew what i was going to write about
but then i read everyone's posts and my
feelings- and ideas -of what to write about are
mixed up like jambalaya.

right now i guess i'm pretty sad because of what Sabrina wrote...- that feeling of hollowness and being able to cry and not wanting to- and then wanting to and not being able to.

so what i'll write about...
the way i spent my thanksgiving.

my dad came back from Louisiana
so it was a REAL thanksgiving this year. Well- as real as my family's traditional thanksgivings can get, which is.... not your generic type of big turkeys with mounds of cranberries and mashed potatoes.
no, it was- normal. for my family.

we went to a Thai restaurant in the heart of Los Angeles.
Palm's Thai Food takes up half a block and is always teeming with people. The LA hotspot? Palm's is the place to be.
Very chic.
upscale.
hot.
They even have this Thai man in his 40s singing Elvis hits. Dressed exactly like Elvis, of course.
Didn't I tell you this place was hot?

Sitting in the table next to me were a group of Pilgrims. Yes, "adults" in their 30s, men in their Quaker hats and suits looking a lot like Abraham Lincoln, and women with their scarves and modest black dresses. And looking at the "fashion" nowadays, they could have passed as regulars.

So there I was, with mom and dad, eating pad thai and fried rice, fried quail in pepper sauce, fried trout in mango sauce, beef sa-tae in spicy peanut sauce, and chicken and pork stuffed with what i like to call "mystery stuffing", which of course came with what i would also like to call "mystery sauce". That Thai food is really big on exotic sauce. We had everything to eat but the turkey. Which was fine with us.

AND SO THERE WE WERE, at Palm's Thai Food for Thanksgiving dinner. Stuffing ourselves with exotic food tingling and burning our tongues, listening to an Elvis impersonater churn out "hound dog" and "fools in love", with Pilgrims dancing next to me.

all this fun without a turkey and some formal dinner with white tablecloths and cranberry sauce and carbonated apple juice in a fancy look alike champagne bottle so it's kid friendly.

Who knew?

So what AM i really thankful for?
Well, that i'm not a turkey.

2 comments:

.... said...

hahhaa. that was definitely the untraditional way to spend a Thanksgiving.

Very humorous, the way it was in reality and the way you presented it in writing.

My family doesn't celebrate holidays like the way it's advertised on television, media, etc.

I spent my thanksgiving...basically alone and watching Private Pratice on my computer.

But I had fun. I really did...Seriously. That's how lame I am.

I hope you had fun too. :] Something to remember, something to tell your grandkids!

With dancing pilgrims, I mean, what can get better than that, you know?

Tytus said...

Sounds like something out of a weird dream – the pilgrims dancing to Elvis, I mean.

Traditional Thanksgiving dinners are, well, traditional. It's the same ol', same ol', year after year.

Not that I mind piles of good food on the table. It's just that wouldn't mind the occasional pilgrim/Elvis impersonator, either – something to spice up an otherwise deathly predictable event.

And that sauce had my mouth watering.