BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, March 13, 2008

the song. and then the memory.

3 years ago on the Santa Monica pier, "where'd you go?" by fort minor was playing from the kiis fm beach shack. the sun shining brightly, the sweetness of cotton candy swarming in my mouth, the waves crashing in the distance. and people. people fishing people laughing people eating people having a wonderful time.
and 3 years later, i'm cleaning my room and "where'd you go?" is playing on the radio. and my room dissolves and i'm back on the Santa Monica pier. but the sun is less bright, the cotton candy less sweet, the waves less powerful, and the people have no expression. and the pier dissolves in my mind but my room is still a blury picture. i'm crying. because i was so happy so carefree smiling laughing the sun shining shining shining the warmth, my life was complete.
and so i take each song from each period in my life.
and when i want to take myself back-
back to summer school
back to louisiana
back to lazy summers
back to new york
back to love and life and crushes and freshman year
i listen to the song. and then the memory.

3 comments:

Zack said...

It's interesting (for lack of a better word) to see how so many of us (here at high school) have such nostalgia. I suppose it's just part of our existence. Our intellectual maturation. Our evolving consciousness.

I see it so much.
I feel it so much.
I know it well.
It comes to see me at night and we talk.
Long conversations with my old friend nostalgia.

It's interesting (for lack of a better word) to see how little things bring it back. A word. A sound. A feeling. I've read that smells bring back memories more than anything else. I suppose that's why whenever that ocean breeze floats in around May and June that I remember living Huntington Beach, walking down to the ocean over the sand covered streets, and going home again as the orange sun casted shadows over the houses as the ocean breeze blew warmly over the landscape.

I miss those days.

"Round Here"
Counting Crows

Sabrina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sabrina said...

Oops! I messed up on the last comment. I meant to write: SO TRUE! Everytime I listen to a song, I remember the times I spent listening to or singing it. Sometimes I don't want to remember those memories, but they come flowing back anyway. Does "My Happy Ending" bring back any memories? :D